Activity: Once Upon a Time…
1. In groups of 4-5, students sit in a circle. Everyone takes out a piece of paper and a pen/pencil.
2. Give students a prompt and write it on the board: One day I came home to find that my dog had totally destroyed my room.
3. Students copy this first sentence down at the top of their page—to start the story. They have 1 minute (USE A TIMER!) to continue the story. It’s okay if they stop before finishing a sentence!!
4. Pass paper to the left. That person continues the story from where it has been left off.
5. Continue until there are 10 minutes left of class.
6. Pass papers back to original owners. Give them a few minutes to read.
7. Volunteers share story with class.
8. Optional: students choose their favorite story from their group. They can plan and act out their favorite this story in front of the class.